Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Follow Me on Pinterest
Register
+ Reply to Thread

Ucas Points/Old Access Course Please Help!

Can anyone help me please?

I completed my Access to Nursing Course in 2001 with 18 level 3 credits (54 Ucas points), which at the time satisfied requirements at the University in which I wish to apply. I was unsuccessful at interview and over time went on to complete a degree in Early Childhood Studies. My problem now is I would like to apply for a Midwifery degree again and you need 280 Ucas points to apply, with a stand-alone GCSE in English. I don't know what to do to gain these extra credits, does anyone know if that would be 1 A level or more? Or would the Ba (2:1) I hold play any relevance regarding Ucas points, in which case I could just take GCSE English? Please, please could anybody help, someone must know ! I feel like pulling my hair out going round in circles!!
    (Remove these adverts now by Registering for free!)

Reviews
    Read 3 Reviews

Re: Ucas Points/Old Access Course Please Help!

I think your points are scored on the 'old' system. You need to ring the Universities up and see what else they'd require on top and for recent study - just to make sure you reach the entry requirements.
    He that goes barefoot, must not plant thorns.

Midwife and Lecturer

Hi,

Thankyou, yes I'm going to contact Ucas tomorrow to find out how my credits translate into ucas points since it all changed and what best I can do to make the credits up! The annoying thing is I've already had funding for degree level, so its not as if it would be that easy financially for me just to re-complete a more up to date access course Thanks for your help

Annalise

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

I don't think the access course translate into ucas points anyway hun - the points tend to be for A levels (I could well be wrong, I usually am! ) The best thing would be to check with the uni's that your access and degree are ok as entry requirements or whether you'd need to a short course as recent study. If you haven't got English at GCSE then a lot of uni's will need you to do that anyway as thats one of the basic requirements for many unis now
    4th time lucky (3rds overrated ) Keele (U), Staffs - U after interview, Chester - OFFER!!!! , BCU - OFFER!!! and Worcester - interview 21st Jan - withdrawn

I think the old access converted to points but the new access is now graded and not points. Try getting in touch with mum09 as I think she did the old access. She may be able to give you a breakdown on the conversion or something.
    Student Nurse 2012

Reviews
    Read 3 Reviews

I did the old access course but, have no idea how it all worked! As i recall the points were multiplied by 3???

Midwife and Lecturer

Hi, yes I think they were multiplied by 3 in which case I should have 54 ucas points..no where near enough! I'm definitely going to do a GSCE English but that's the only thing i'm sure of . Going to ring Ucas now, thanks for your help ppl xx

Reviews
    Read 3 Reviews

Would you be able to re do access?

Midwife and Lecturer

I was told by an access tutor that you can only do access once. Not sure how true that is.
    There is no telling how many miles you will have to run while chasing a dream]

Oo I've never heard that momiji.
    Student Nurse 2012

Reviews
    Read 3 Reviews

Nor me but, something in my head said something along those lines!

Midwife and Lecturer

Hi, rang Ucas and apparently credits have nothing to do with the Ucas points tariff and never have done?!! I think I'm going to do a distance learning Access to Midwifery, its AQA accredited, so just going to check with the university it will be accepted ...fingers crossed! xx

Reviews
    Read 3 Reviews

Yay! That is fab news! Good luck with your journey - a few on here are doing/have done this course - so ask questions!

Midwife and Lecturer

Thank you Delilah! It does feel like I'll be going over old ground, but that should be a good thing as it will refresh my memory of everything! Plus have to pay for it myself..but if that's what it takes! xx

Reviews
    Read 3 Reviews

It'll make you more determined paying for it!

Midwife and Lecturer